Everybody's Got One
A blog. An opinion. An elimination orifice. A dream. An agenda. A past. A hidden talent. A conceptual filter. A cross. A charism (often the same). A task. A wound. A destiny. A lost love. A blind spot. A bad habit. A secret. A passion. A soul ... okay, maybe not everybody ...
Tuesday, May 28, 2002

 

The volunteer lector at mass today read the text from Sirach, not I Peter. Usually, by the second week back into ordinary time, people get caught up with what year it is in the cycle of readings – but not always.
When I have time, I'm going to have to look through Sirach, to see what someone is trying to tell me.

Today's gospel (appropriate for both years) has perhaps the oddest single phrase I recall. Jesus is telling his disciples that Whoever gives up [all manner of things] for me will receive back a hundredfold in this life – and persecution besides. Now this is a most curious aside. Does he mean, persecution as an accompaniment? A consequence? A precondition? An integral part – the cross to the charisms? A corrective – a thorn in the flesh to keep them humble? Or could it even be a reward - a bonus for dealing with things already walked away from?
Like I said, most curious – and generally unremarked upon.

posted by Kelly | 2:49 PM link
archives
email
links