Everybody's Got One
A blog. An opinion. An elimination orifice. A dream. An agenda. A past. A hidden talent. A conceptual filter. A cross. A charism (often the same). A task. A wound. A destiny. A lost love. A blind spot. A bad habit. A secret. A passion. A soul ... okay, maybe not everybody ...
Sunday, June 09, 2002

 

And so ordinary time begins in earnest. The last of the reminders and recapitulations of Easter – Pentecost, then Holy Trinity, then Corpus Christi, and finally Sacred Heart and Immaculate Heart last week – like increasingly-faint echoes, shifting harmonic key doppler-like as we move farther away and it recedes into memory, are past. Now the green Sundays stretch ahead of us until almost year's end, again. The hope, as always, is that our three-month walk through Lent and Eastertide has made us better Christians than we were last year; now we begin to find out.
For myself I'm not optimistic – it didn't feel like I had a very good Easter this year. Too distracted; too blasé. But at least I'm learning to distrust my spiritual feelings – maybe I got some necessary work done after all, unbeknownst to me. We'll see, I guess.

(I like to supplement my Roman calendar with other Christian ones during the nine months of the ordinal year. The Anglicans' Whitsunday is just a neater term than Holy Trinity (ditto Candlemas for Presentation – or the Orthodox Purification of Mary) that makes me appreciate the specialness of the solemnity more. And I don't much care for the fact that Corpus Christi – and Ascension, which it strangely and wonderfully echoes – generally gets transferred from Thursday to Sunday because it's clearly too much to ask Catholics to practice their faith other than on the weekend. Having these feasts come upon us on weekdays is one way that the magisterium has traditionally taught Christians that Easter has to have its effects during the work week as well. I understand [link to come once I track down the reference]'s liturgical point – for a Sunday massgoer, these weekday feastdays are thin gruel indeed – but compared to the all-too-often-automatic cycle of daily masses, even an unaccustomed third reading is something to chew over.
The Orthodox, in addition to what they call Great Lent, observe lesser fasts during the year. Two I keep are the Apostles' Lent in June – the thirteen days before Peter and Paul on the 29th, containing and framing the Nativity of the Forerunner – and Mary's Lent in August, from the 1st to the vigil of the Assumption/Dormition on the evening of the 14th (similarly enveloping the Transfiguration). It's valuable to break up that long stretch of Ordinary time with a reminder that Lent, too, has to be incorporated into the entire year – in a concentrated form, and a way that meatless Fridays can't really reach.)

And I notice that my parenthesis and commentary on OT's occasional exceptionality ran longer than the original point. Sigh.

posted by Kelly | 7:38 PM link
archives
email
links