Everybody's Got One
A blog. An opinion. An elimination orifice. A dream. An agenda. A past. A hidden talent. A conceptual filter. A cross. A charism (often the same). A task. A wound. A destiny. A lost love. A blind spot. A bad habit. A secret. A passion. A soul ... okay, maybe not everybody ...
Monday, April 26, 2004

I say it's broccoli ...  

Lileks does a riff on this cartoon today (I used to know how to post pictures on the blog, but now I'm reduced to links. So sue me for a refund); I had never seen it before - as far as I know. However, it's likely the ultimate source of a long-term family joke, whose tag line is I say it's potato salad, and I say the hell with it.

The original use - I thought - was a response to some hi-falutin' dish like Majonezes Burgonya, with a subtext along the lines of You can put a pig in a party dress, but it's still a pig. For years, Potato Salad was family code for puncturing pretensions without letting outsiders know what was going on.

But then, as nieces and nephews and grandkids arrived, with kids' autonomic reflex to new foodstuffs, Potato salad became the standard dinner-table response to Eew - what's that? with the new subtext of It's fine - just try it.

And now, for the first time, I know where that came from. Not all the steps in how it got there, but still ... Ain't the internet cool?

posted by Kelly | 3:31 PM link
archives
email
links