Everybody's Got One
A blog. An opinion. An elimination orifice. A dream. An agenda. A past. A hidden talent. A conceptual filter. A cross. A charism (often the same). A task. A wound. A destiny. A lost love. A blind spot. A bad habit. A secret. A passion. A soul ... okay, maybe not everybody ...
Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Alternative histories  

I didn't watch much of the convention last night – the Stargate Atlantis premiere was being rerun. (I was a geek before I was a wonk, okay?) But I did see Ron Jr's love song to stem cells and the medical-industrial complex, and Theresa's ... whatever it was.

Dropping in tonight, I keep checking to see that I'm not still tuned to the Science Fiction channel. Are these people kidding me?

If I had one question to ask of the delegates in Boston, it would be What color is the sun on your home planet? If I found someone who looked both thoughtful and trustworthy, I might dare to ask Can you isolate the historical point at which our realities diverged?

Looking back, I suspect it may be when (in our timeline) President Reagan survived the assassination attempt. If the Soviet Union never collapses, Islamic terrorism still has a tight leash kept on it and remains primarily state-sponsored. And Kerry's stability-seeking, international-law-based security policy makes sense.

posted by Kelly | 9:23 PM link
archives
email
links